27 August, 2007

My Stroll


When starting my journey through the Gothic area of Barcelona I did not know exactly what I was looking for or where I was going. While meandering the area and weaving in and out of different styles of streets it hit me. The area I was walking, in my mind, was divided into two different types of streets-wide and narrow. I noticed not just that there were two different types of streets but that there was a relationship to the sun with both of them. The wider streets were where the tourists were and where the chain stores and souvenir shops were. Also, the wider streets were aligned in a East-West direction making them have more natural light. The narrower streets were where the locals were and an occasional tourist passing by, but more so they were aligned opposite that of the wider streets. They were narrow and did not get much sunlight because of their relationship to the suns path. Also I noticed more balconies on the wider public streets than on the narrow intimate streets. The stroll really made me think beyond just that there are buildings around me. It made me take a critical analysis on the space I was walking through.

No comments: