10 October, 2007

The entrance of light into the Sagrada Familia



A week before we went on our first study travel to Madrid and Bilbao, we visited the Sagrada Familia right here in Barcelona. The building was absolutely incredible. There was so much detail to the building, I feel I could stay there and study the building for an entire 24 hours and still miss something. While I was sketching on site, I found the bell towers in the front very appealing. I really liked the way they drew my eye up the sky. I did research on the Sagrada Familia and found that the vertical shape of the bell towers represent the union between earth and light. I also found the columns in the front of the building really attention getting. If you looked really close, you could see the names that were on top of each column. One column actually had my name on it. The column in the middle of the main entrance had the name, Jesus, on the top. While studying the building, I continued to find many characteristics and designs that continued to draw my eye up to the sky. While doing these case studies, I found the concept of light to be very interesting. I continued with my study of light and how light enters the Sagrada Familia. I emphasized my sketches with zooming in on actual pictures I took during my visit. Light tended to enter the building through the bell towers, the central nave (but that may also be cause it is still under construction), and through the stain glass windows.

No comments: