04 October, 2007

the wave (corresponding to Kelly's #5 in her list)

So in San Sebastian after looking at the Kursaal, some of us (Kelly, Madison, Danni, Hali, and I) took our break and tried to get over to the Comb of the Winds, by Chillida. Half way there we decided to stop and grab some menu del dias. We ate. It was good. and we continued on towards the Chillida. Walking along the coast we discovered an area where you could get really close to the ocean. We ventured in to see what was down there. We explored this area and came across a great area right above some rocks. Kelly and Hali decided to get up on this ledge sorta thing behind this big wall. Madison, Danni, and I just stood on the ground. We stood there and watched the waves crash against the wall (nothing too big just normal waves). I wanted to get this splashing action on a video so i started taking some. The first waves i got weren't that great, you couldn't even see the splash. then I looked into the distance and I saw a big swell. I distinctly remember turning to Madison and saying "This one's gonna be good!" However I did not foresee how good it was really going to turn out to be. I thought it would just be big enough to get the splash visible in my film. So we are standing here and I am videotaping this swell, all of a sudden it hits the wall and this gigantic splash engulfs the entire area we were in. I turn and run (still videotaping), because i am not trying to get wet. And Madison Danni and I escape, pretty much completely dry, maybe just our feet wet from the ground getting flooded. When in safety we turn around and from around the corner we see Hali and Kelly walk out completely soaked. Apparently the huge rock wall they were behind was no match for this wave. It wrapped around the wall and drentched them both. After this moment someone points up the hill and notices a tour group of elderly people in perfect view of the entire thing. I really want to know what they were thinking at this particular point. After that fiasco, we figured we could not make it to the Chillida and back to catch the movie, so we turn around and walk back to the Kursaal. Some of us wetter than others. This movie is the clip from when i was filming the wave. You can see as soon as I saw trouble I did not stick around. And as for the screams, I think those are probably self explanatory.

No comments: