11 October, 2007

Tres Preguntas Cortas and other Spanish Snafus

Temples and I had many Barcelona adventures while doing our cultural project for Spanish class. We were a wonky pair, the two of us clueless when it comes to the Spanish language. We decided to ask people around Barcelona 3 short questions...Where would you live if you could live anywhere in BCN? anywhere in Spain? and anywhere in the world?
Our first hot spots were the various plazas in Gracia. At this point in the game I was so nervous I was about to throw up. I'm not usually so shy or anxious but the thought of approaching a stranger rambling on in my broken Spanish terrified me! I turned to Temples basically freaking out, begging him to hop into the nearest bar on Placa del Sol so I could get a little help regaining some courage. He just laughed. Apparently my slight anxiety attack was funny?!? So I told myself to just do it!...(there's a flashback for you) and it was all downhill from there. Our first interviewee Adriana was as sweet as could be, quelling all of my unwarranted fears for the rest of the day. Temples and I went on to interview several very interesting people. Not to say there weren't anymore setbacks...I couldn't keep up with the number of times Temples spoke in French instead of Spanish, or the number of times people couldn't understand us! Two ladies near the Born misunderstood the question and thought that I asked them what they liked to drink...beber instead of vivir. Temples,the ladies, and I had a good laugh.
There were other distractions as well. We wanted to stop for food every ten minutes, true Rozzy and Temples style, and we'd occasionally/always slow down past the windows of shoe stores. We ran into two dogs in the Born stuck together, back to back. We couldn't figure out how that could have happened...it was pretty disturbing, but impossible to stop staring. In Parque de la Cuitadella there were crazy break dancers behind our bench and jack hammers rattling while we were conducting interviews. If it wasn't one thing it was another, but I must say the project was a fun one. We compiled a video summary...complete with bloopers and all! enjoy.


No comments: