10 September, 2007

A Closer Look

On Thursday of last week, we visited the Port of Barcelona by bike. We got as close as we could to the site with permission. After visiting the site on bicycle, I biked up to Montjuic to get an aerial view of the Port of Barcelona. I realized, while looking down upon the port, how disorganized everything looked. All the cargo, ships, and other components in the port looked all scattered as if they had no order. Personally, I'm a very organized person and when I'm not organized, I tend to stress out. While looking down upon the disorder of the port, a slight feeling of stress came over me. Then next day, I took the boat ride that allowed us to ride through the port. While both riding the bicycle to the site and riding the boat, it technically did not feel like we entered the site until we crossed over or under the large, white bridge. As soon as I crossed under the bridge by boat, I was able to see the site up close. It was not till I was so close to the site that I realized how organized the site really it. The cargo containers were stacked neatly, as well as about 150 cars in rows. Not only was the cargo and forms of transportation organized, but even the large cranes and other pieces of large equipment were set in rows where they lined up with one another. Such organized characteristics of the site cannot be seen unless you are close and inside the site. The organization is something not seen with the human eye from a distance.

No comments: