16 September, 2007

a thin line


In my opinion, one of the most interesting things about the Barceloneta is how close the beach is to the city. Usually when I think of beach settings I think of that long walk from the beach house through the sand all the way to the shoreline. In Barcelona, however, the water is literally meters away. I think that the reason for this is because of both permanent and temporary conditions. A high volume of people on a hot sunny day may contribute to a thinner line between beachgoers and the city, depending on what time of year it is and the weather. But I think that permament conditoins are set so that the distance from the streets and buildings to the water and swimmers is short. Barceloneta's sand is swept away by the water after each winter, and the city council replaces the artificial sand. It makes me think of trying to install a beach at New York City. Also, the boardwalk is set up near the shore along with many restaurants. I noticed that the south side of the beach is more crowded than the north, just as Prof. Hecker said in class. The south beach feels much closer to the city than the north side, because of the many restaurants, plazas and buildings pressed right up against the beach. On the north side, it expands considerably as it becomes less crowded and the distance from the boarwalk to the water grows.

In my video I decided to walk along this imaginary border back and forth to investigate the details. I walked from the plaza and street on the south beach that leads to the metro stop, up to the Gehry Fish, which marks the end of the Barceloneta. I walked back along the top boardwalk instead of the bottom.

No comments: