10 September, 2007

The Pulse of the Port

For the assignment this week we were supposed to go to the site and make a "case study" on our observations. When overlooking the site from Montjuic, because we couldn't actually get into the area, I observed what seemed to be a very organized system. As I thought about it longer I realized that apart from maybe an airport, ports have to be one of the most organized places. I realized that they had to keep track of all of those containers and what was in them and get them to the right place at the right time.

Overlooking all of this, it seemed to me like the port had its own system: boats would come in, get unloaded, or loaded with the containers. The containers would be placed in some organized way, even though i do not know what that is, and then they would move onto their next destination. For the project this week I focused on the movement through the port and the system that the city had in place for keeping on schedule with the busyness that is the BCN port.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Love this websit , Whit. Where are your pictures and sketches. So glad to know what you are doing and happy for the wonderful experiences for all.
Mom