18 September, 2007

Words

This past weekend, a few of the Spanish RESA veterans planned a welcome event for all the residents. It certainly turned out to be a crazy time, but one particular moment pushed my night into the realm of ‘truly meaningful’. Upon entering the FORUM, I found myself walking with one of the Spanish students I had become acquainted with the night before. After a few minutes, he turned and began a conversation with a group of local students, from which I felt extremely isolated. But after a while, he opted to introduce me to the students. “This is Will, an American.” I’ve learned that description doesn’t always rub people the right way, and he clearly knew that, because he proceeded, “He is really good guy, a lot like us.” I was touched, and immediately accepted by the group. I will always remember that.

No comments: