17 September, 2007

i like public spaces

Our site visits consisted of the MACBA and the Mercat Santa Caterina, as well as an exploration of Barceloneta through film. I discovered in my exploration of the coast, the lack of real beach front business as usual in the US. I found not far from the beach, were some well designed public spaces that were practically completely empty apart from those passing on the way to the beach. I journeyed through these public spaces to experience what most people seemed take for granted. As I moved from these city like area around these public spaces and crossed the street, I discovered the slowed pace of the beach. It seemed strange to me that so many people would rather slow down and experience the beach with had little depth for exploration. In my view, even though the beach was relaxing in a sense, I would have much rather contemplated at the public spaces I had visited.


In the boards for the video and case studies, I tried to demonstrate the experience of the places. For example, at the MACBA, I observed the many layers of shapes that created the facade of the building. The part I felt most interesting about the building was the voids that created form. Not only did these voids in the building allow for new shapes, but also created new areas of hang outs for homeless and skateboarders. The Mercat was also a very interesting space. The roof that covers the market is extremely breathe taking. I discovered that there had been a market in that same place since the 1840s, and before that vegetable pots had been planted there. The colors in the roof and the structure of the building reminded me of colorful plants springing up from the ground .

No comments: