16 September, 2007

MACBA: Meier and Movies



Last Tuesday we went to tour the MACBA. The exhibits were interesting, most of them audiovisual installations exploring society's view of art and theater in coexistence. There were a wide range of topics some dark, some lighter. It was interesting to see the usually lit exhibit spaces darkened for the video projections. The building itself was interesting to walk through. Meier's organization of space was admirable, at no point was I lost in the gallery. The ramps made circulation throughout the galleries and exhibit rooms easier, and I was able to orient myself on every floor because of the open space and glass wall offering views of the city plaza. I have heard mixed emotions on Meier's MACBA from others I've talked to, but in comparison to some of his other works and noting the transformation it has caused in El Raval I think the building is a success. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and admire the museum's dedication to contemporary art and its ever changing mediums.

No comments: