02 November, 2007

Calatravaland



Valencia provided us with some amazing architectural finds. The huge site that Calatrava developed consisted of 3 buildings and a botanical garden. For me, as these buildings came into our sight, I felt like I was coming across some prehistoric skeleton of a beached water monster. The stark white sharp curves protruded out of reflection ponds. The delicate and graceful manner in which all these buildings arced and dominated the landscape provided a very surreal experience. Some commented on how Calatravaland didn't fit very well with the rest of the city, but I felt that this was what really made the experience we had. I am glad Calatrava decided to plop his beached skeleton in the middle of what looked like a residential high rise area. Any other way and it would have been a lot less magical and exciting.

No comments: