15 February, 2008

Cooking in Spain!


So, after blowing through some cash on eating out everyday, I have decided to live a bit cheaper and have an "out" meal less frequently. So, I figured I would give up some of the things I have found that are really useful when eating on a budget.

1- I have found breaded chicken at charter for like 1.5 euro for four servings. They also have some sauce called Gallo and I like the Neapolitan kind. Fry the chicken in some oil. Put the sauce on top then the cheese on top. I bet it would be good with pasta, but I made a sandwich. It rocked. Double decker.

2- Peanut Butter and Jelly - a classic, eat it. It is good. Make five if you want.

3- Ham, Cheese, and Egg - Toast your bread in butter. Cook the ham in one pan. I don't like deli ham as much as a thicker slice that I shred up into tiny pieces. So put the ham on the toast, then cover it with cheese. I use mozzarella. Then, fry an egg. It is trickier because oil and egg are not the best mates. So, just try to get under the egg and make sure it is not sticking to the pan. Make sure to not break the yolk. It will taste much better if you don't. Then, put the egg in the sandwich and enjoy. I like to reheat everything after I put it together cuz I like it hot. It is pretty filling even though it doesn't sound like much.

4- Salsa Chicken - Go to Carre Four. Pick up some Dorritos Hot Salsa, Chicken Breast (5 euro package), and Cheddar Cheese. Overall it will be about 8 euro for all of it. So, cut the chicken up into tiny pieces. Put it in a pan with a couple of table spoons of the Salsa. Add a bit of water then cover it with a lid. Let it cook, but check on it every now and then. The lid will keep the water vapor in which will make sure that your chicken is moist and the flavor gets in. Then, open it up and let the remaining water evaporate. Take the chicken out of the pan and spread cheese on it in the dish. Don't put cheese on in the pan unless you want to scrub burnt cheese... it sucks. Then, you can do what you want with it. Put it over rice or in some bread. It would be interesting to try it in a pita. I am sure it would taste good with your regular taco toppings, but I usually eat it as is. Anyways, it reminds me of home since Mom makes it a good bit.

5- LOMO! Pork is the easiest thing to cook and as I am sure you know, it is everywhere and fairly inexpensive. So get a center cut, that is usually the better piece and make sure it is thinner because the thicker it is, the more likely it will be tougher, and it will take longer to cook. Anyways, you fry it in a pan with oil and put some salt and pepper on it. Tastes great. Or I like to cook it with onion and green pepper in a bit of oil with some basil, garlic salt, salt, and pepper. Really good, really simple. Cook a side and done.

I like to think that if I do some of these things more often, I can splurge every now and then. I will still save money, but I can still have the experience. And of course it will be a longer experience since I will distribute my funds over a broader period of time. If y'all

No comments: