07 April, 2008

Weekend in Roma

For my last weekend trip during school, I visited a couple of my friends from Maryland studying in Roma, Italy. Rome is quite a different place than the typical European city. Walking down the street, it's not uncommon to see ruins that existed from before Jesus was around. In one afternoon, I was able to tour St. Peters Basilica, St. Peters Square, the Vatican Museums with the Sistine Chapel, the Colosseum, and the Constantine Arch. That's a lot of history to wrap your head around. They seem to be living in the past (and rightfully so) more than any place I've ever been. It was cool to see some of the places you read about in all our history classes.

Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel was one that obviously stuck out to me. I was lucky enough to go to Rome with my family around 10 years ago, but I only have very vague memories of that week. I remember thinking that the Vatican Museum took forever to get through just to see a painting. I think it took this time to really appreciate what was there.

No comments: