15 February, 2008

I should be getting some cultural awareness credit for these experiences...


This is my first blog ever...and I have 3 more to do today...so I figured I would start with something that happened this week and is still fresh in my memory. I'm sure everyone is aware that we dont actually receive the gen ed credit of cultural awareness by studying abroad, but I just thought I'd post some of my cultural experiences in an attempt to show that I currently feel very culturally aware :) Last Sunday, Shannon, Johanna and I went to our plaza for Kathrin's plaza study and we got out our sketch books and worked for about 5 mins. Then these two men came up to Johanna and started asking her about her sketches and flipping through her notebook. They spoke no english and were drunk and smelled terrible!! After about 30 minutes of standing and talking to us, they decided they needed to sit down so they wedged themselves onto the one person chairs we were on and proceeded to talk to us. As you can see in the picture, we weren't exactly pumped about this. Eventually it progressed into them trying to hug and kiss us...that didnt fly so we ran away. I felt very aware of the culture of drunken homeless men at that moment. This same week, we had the opportunity to experience a little more of the homeless, drunken culture of Barcelona when we went to Coaliment, the little convenience store right by RESA. We walked in and were purchasing some drinks and ice cream when a drunk midget started dancing in the store right by us. By dancing, I mean like arms in the air, belly dancing. He was yelling and dancing all around the store and Shannon made the mistake of making eye contact so he thought that meant she wanted to join in. To include her, he walked up behind her and poked/jabbed/tickled her in the ribs. She freaked out and then he proceeded to do the same to me. Not a fan... He then went for a hug from Shannon and raised his little arms and tried to kiss her...he missed is all i have to say. After we paid we practically ran out of the store laughing hysterically. Basically, homeless men in Barcelona have no shame about openly hitting on any female that walks by and I feel that this should somehow merit a little bit of cultural credit from Clemson...

No comments: