25 March, 2008

MotoGP in Jerez de la Frontera begins FRIDAY


Okays, so this is blog number dos for the week, and then there is a lot of work to be done between right this minute and Thursday when my plane heads to Sevilla. Yikesers. So, here goes...

I'm sure people will talk about The Reichstag, DZ Bank, Sony, etc... because we all went to Berlin, however I don't want to. One funky building during my Indie Travel really caught my eye. In a weird way, it made me think of Lawrence Halprin and the way he uses his wife's choreography to design, but this building didn't have great circulation, just great movement of the building structure that caught my eye. Maybe a little Alice and Wonderlandish. The Dancing House is an office building in downtown Prague, designed by Czech architect Vlado Milunic in co-operation with Canadian architect Frank O. Gehry on a vacant riverfront plot (where the previous building had been destroyed during the Bombing of Prague in 1945). Originally named Fred and Ginger (after Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers - the house vaguely resembles a pair of dancers) the house really stands out among the Neo-Baroque, Neo-Gothic, and Art-Nouveau buildings Prague is famous for. If this building had been in Berlin, it probably wouldn't have caught my eye, but because it sticks out almost like a sore thumb, I found it interesting and intriguing, and almost made Jen, Tara, and Matt pose as dancers like Fred and Ginger for a silly picture trying to manipulate the building.

No comments: