07 March, 2008

What makes a building a good building?


In our hybrid discussion with Professor Hecker on Wednesday we were asked what was good about our building. In the short discussion that followed this question I began to think about what makes any building a good building.

One of our group members said our building was going to have a wow factor aspect, and the idea was immediately shot down because it carried no substance. Buildings can have wow factors, but they have them because of some other issue or design element that makes them interesting. One of the things I've been trying to do while observing architecture on our trips is discovering how a building works. And now I will be adding the question what makes a building a good building to my observations.

I feel like I've learned a lot about the profession of architecture while I have been in Europe, and one of the important things I need to remember is to absorb the good and the bad from other people's practices, techniques, and ideas.

No comments: